Friday 7 October 2011

The Pre Wedding Outdoor Photo Shoot

At the pre wedding meeting I discuss the pre wedding photo shoot with my couples and we usually set the date at that time.

The main purposes for my offering the pre wedding photo shoot included in my wedding photography packages are:

  • I have a chance to get to know the couple more and likewise, they get to know me more!  It is a continuation of the rapport that was developed at the pre wedding meeting.
  • I get to know the couple in front of the camera; how “touchy feely” they are, how they interact together, how relaxed they are in front of the camera.
  • To adapt the way I shoot to reflect their preferences on their wedding day.
  • To provide the couple with a CD of approximately 100 photos which they will love and then they will rave about you!

When do I arrange the pre wedding photo shoot?

For a Winter wedding I like to arrange the photo shoot in Autumn and for a Summer wedding, for the photo shoot to be in Spring.  I like to arrange the photo shoot 1 – 2 months from the wedding date if possible.  Usually by this time, the bride and groom have all plans confirmed and after our photo shoot we can then run through the wedding day again.

Where is the pre wedding shoot located?

Sometimes a couple will want their photo shoot to be at their wedding venue.  Most often they choose somewhere else, whether it is a park, gardens, beach.  Some suggestions I make to my Central Coast couples are:
Mt Penang Gardens.
Japanese Gardens (Regional Art Gallery) at East Gosford.
Long Jetty, using the jetty and the adjacent park area.
Local beaches.

What time of day and how long does it take?

I prefer to shoot in the two hours before sunset to take advantage of the beautiful soft light at this time of day.  Sometimes I have early morning shoots soon after sunrise, but this often isn’t first choice as it means the couple getting up really early and me too!  Usually the photo shoot will take 1 – 2 hours.

What to wear and types of poses?

I advise my couples that the photo shoot is relaxed and fun and they may like to come along in smart casual clothes or, they may like to be dressed up as though they were heading out to dinner for the evening.

I always carry a travel rug, my beautiful white wedding umbrella and a magazine as these can make good props.

I try to encourage a variety of poses and list a small variety here:
- Couple looking at each other.
- Kissing.
- Each on their own, but looking towards their partner.
- Standing in embrace under umbrella.
- Sitting / lying on picnic rug, maybe reading a magazine.
- Sitting / leaning on park benches / steps.

My next blog will cover more about photography poses and styles.


Tips for the Bride and Groom

Always be supportive of your partner – you don’t want any disagreements just before you head out to your photo shoot, as this will reflect in your photos!

Listen to your photographer, I will give direction to you in your posing.  I will listen to my couples and always ask if there is any particular photo they would like and once I got the answer “yes, I would like to be up the tree looking down at my fiance”. 

It is all fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment